Enter your design for the 2017 CDBF Poster Contest!
Each year, we call for the creative imaginations of graphic artists — both professional and young students — to have fun illustrating the magic of our event, and submitting their best designs for review by a panel of judges.
The winning design will primarily be used for the festival promotional poster and possibly for collectible merchandise. The winner of the competition will be honored as the Official Festival Poster Artist at the Opening Ceremony on the Main Stage of the Colorado Dragon Boat Festival.
Get artsy with us and send us your design!
1. Requirements: Any individual may participate regardless of age, experience, technical skills, or other indicators. Student artists currently enrolled in grades 6 through 12 will qualify for the Young at Art awards. There is NO ENTRY FEE; one entry per person, please. Complete the registration form online at www.cdbf.org.
2. Cash awards are as follows:
- 1st place: $300
- 2nd place: $200
- 3rd place: $100
- Young at Art Award (6th-12th Grade): $50
3. Entry Submission: Entries must be submitted in a DIGITAL format as a high resolution PDF or JPG/TIFF format that are VERTICALLY oriented, e.g., must be able to fit 18″ wide x 24″ tall poster format without loss of image.
Images must be at least 300 dpi and at a minimum size of 8″ x 11″. Images must be fully scalable and able to be increased to a size of 18″ x 24″ without loss of resolution or image detail. Please refrain from including the artist name in the actual design.
All designs must include the following text copy, not necessarily in this order or format:
- 17th Annual Colorado Dragon Boat Festival
- July 29-30, 2017
- Sloan’s Lake Park
- Denver, Colorado
Design considerations (these little tidbits about our 2016 festival may help you come up with a cool new design concept!):
- 2017 is the Year of the Rooster (more specifically, the Fire Rooster). Those born in the year of the Rooster are said to be guided by instinct without effort.
- Each year, we feature a different country or cultural group in our Gateway to Asia cultural education pavilion. In 2017, we will be featuring Cambodia!
- Designs should take into consideration the mission and history of the Colorado Dragon Boat Festival. Please visit our website: www.cdbf.org to learn more about the festival.
Please ensure that you completely fill out the registration form, including your submission statement as well as your artist statement. These statements lend critical information to the selection committee and may make the difference between a winning submission and one that does not win.
If an artist chooses to submit a physical piece (not a digital graphic design), CDBF reserves the rights to ownership of the original artwork, which must be mailed to the office at: 3000 Youngfield Street, Suite 350, Wheat Ridge, CO. 80215.
Entries must be submitted online no later than April 21, 2017 by 5:00pm MST.
4. Evaluation: Entries will be evaluated by the selection committee and will be based on appeal, content, and marketability. The selection committee is made up of members from the Denver art community and the CDBF Board of Directors. The decision of the selection committee is final.
5. Reserved Rights: At the request of CDBF, the artist will alter image and/or remove any and all signature, logo, company stamp, or similar identifying marks. By submitting an entry, artist agrees to modify his/her winning design as requested by CDBF to allow image to better fit marketing goals. Artist will also be asked to provide all CMYK color mixes and fonts in order to coordinate design with all CDBF marketing materials.
CDBF reserves the right to use the winning image on miscellaneous advertisement or promotional media, T-shirts, and any other CDBF related items. The winning entry will become the full property of CDBF, with all rights and privileges inherent thereto. CDBF reserves the right to resize or otherwise alter the winning entry before using it in promotion and merchandising materials, or to not use any submitted competition materials at CDBF’s sole discretion.