imaginAsian Art Collaboration showcases local artists, manga style
The Colorado Dragon Boat Festival was pleased to introduce a brand-new element to our cultural palette in 2011: The imaginAsian Art Collaboration, a showcase of artists working with the public to illustrate a theme for each year. The 2011 theme was “Ode to Japan,” and four separate art projects were created by different organizations during the festival. Some of the mural panels from the imaginAsian Collaboration were auctioned at the annual Fall CDBF Gala as a fundraiser.
The debut of imaginAsian Arts Collaboration was a big hit with both the local arts community festival guests, so we’ve brought back the imaginAsian Art Collaboration for 2012!
This year imaginAsian will feature young local Asian American artists showing their talent drawing manga (Japanese comics) characters as well as fine art.
IN addition, Squid Works Comic Creator Cooperative will host comic and comic-art based projects! The Squid Works Comic Creator Cooperative is a rag-tag group of Colorado-based independent cartoonists, artists and writers who work in a variety of styles.
Visit imaginAsian and you’ll be able to interact with the artists and bring out your creative muse with these fun activities:
• Comics Draw-off: Audience members are invited to form a team with fellow artists and test their drawing skills as they are requested to draw all manner of random subjects suggested by the audience as the clock ticks.
• Chalk Tapestry: Grab a piece of chalk and work on finishing our chalk masterpiece that will spontaneously form over the Dragon Boat weekend!
• Spontaneous Community Comic: Step up to the table and help fill in the community comic. Members of the Squid Works Comic Creator Coorperative are on hand to assist and will be able to demonstrate inking techniques, layout, penciling, and drawing techniques.
• How to Make a Comic Book: In this panel session, Squid Works members will share tips and techniques of how one can go about creating their own comic book.
• A Brief History of Comic Interactions Between the US and Japan: Join Squid Works member, Michael O’Keefe, as he takes us on a trip through the last 150 years and the interesting cross-pollination and inspiration between Japan and US in comics.